– What does Sony do?
Sony consists of the following segments: Imaging Products & Solutions (where our Security Unit under Professional Group belongs to), Mobile Communications, Game & Network Services, Home Entertainment & Sound, Semiconductors, Components, Pictures, Music, Financial Services, and all other businesses. Sony is uniquely positioned to be the leading electronics and entertainment company in the world
– How long has Sony been in the physical security market?
Sony has been in this market for more than 30 years.
– Why did you join ONVIF and how long has your company been a member of ONVIF?
We are proud of the 10th anniversary as one of the founders of ONVIF.
Our biggest motivation when we started it along with Axis and Bosch was to accelerate the transition from analog cameras to IP cameras by providing an open standard, and also it was believed that interoperability would bring great benefits for customers as well as everyone involved in the physical security industry.
– Is your company involved in any particular working groups?
We participate in all the ONVIF committees as well as Video Enhancement WG, Profile T WG, and Device Test Tool WG. I serve as a member of the Steering Committee.
– To which specific profiles does your company’s products conform and why is that beneficial to your business?
Our products currently available on the market are all Profile S conformant.
Profile S has become a de facto standard in the industry thanks to the great efforts by ONVIF members.
– What does it mean to you to be a member of ONVIF and what kinds of business impacts have you seen as a result?
We have been striving for ONVIF to be a trustworthy and quality standard for both our customers and the industry. We think it has been a great success and the transition from analog camera to IP camera is about to end.
– Are there any specific benefits it brings to your business?
We see the increased business opportunities as the IP-based physical security market grows. As a matter of fact, some particular projects specify Profile S conformant cameras.
Interested in becoming an ONVIF member? There are several membership categories from which to choose.